Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 5 - St Louis and SUNSHINE!

As we began the day, we were, again, in the gloom of fog and rain.  It has been over 1300 miles with NO SUNSHINE!

But wait..... what's this?  1350 miles of rain and our first glimpse of blue sky!  Hooray!

We drove from Nashville to St Louis and arrived in time to do some shopping and stop at the RV dealer where Dad bought the RV (to investigate selling it)
After that, we checked into our hotel and went over to Wayne and Carol's to meet them and Nancy and Skip.  We had a little time before going out to dinner, so I asked if we could please return to Del Norte one more time in the sunshine.  I wanted to go there with Nancy, because she was born and raised in the house across the street from ours.  We went and I decided to walk up to the door of our old house and introduce myself  (armed with the picture of 5 year old me on the steps)
Well, the new owner is a delightful young woman who welcomed me in to look around!  WOW!  Much of it is still the same - 50 years later!!
Here we are with new owner, Leslie (her husband is an avid Ohio State fan, hence the "O")


I remember when Dad carried me up these stairs when I had the measles.

I think the flooring is original.

The back yard - I used to go through the back and across one street to school and right through the bushes to Miss Moline's for piano lessons! 


Nancy and Me in front of "MawGaw's" house, where she grew up.  (that's Gruendler's house next door!)

This house, down the street, was Mrs. Woolston's, where Mom rented a room right after they were married when Dad went overseas.  That's when she met Nancy.

 We went out to dinner and then back to Wayne and Carol's for a little more time with good friends.  What a wonderful visit!


Tomorrow we head for central Missouri - Rolla, Lebanon, and the Lake of the Ozarks on the way back up to Sedalia.



No comments:

Post a Comment